Sunday, November 28, 2010

Typical Narrative Structure

For my front cover of my magazine, I will be following the typical conventions by having:

  •  a large, block coloured title to make the name of my magazine stand out
  • a large photograph of an artist (who's making direct address) that has been shot in a studio, using professional cameras
  • a range of subheadings and titles (all of different fonts and sizes), telling audiences what will feature in the magazine
  • it will feature a leading caption which will dominate the page so that the audience will be drawn to that article
  • finally, I will include strap-lines at the top or bottom of the page to highlight other stars or stories that will feature in the magazine
As well as following conventions, I will slightly bend the rules to make my cover more unique and interesting. I like the following ideas:




This front cover of vibe magazine really caught my eye as the photograph has been made to fit the full cover. Photoshop has also been used to make the picture black and white, and the title bright red to stand out. This is an interesting cover, and its original.


This cover photograph breaks the rules, as it looks like it has been shot outside, rather than in a studio. However, it makes the front cover look interesting and different.

By breaking the rules and conventions of a typical magazine, you are creating your own style for a cover to grab the audience's attention. It also makes the cover seem original and more interesting. However, if you create something totally different, the product may not be recognized as it is not something everyone are familiar with.

For my contents page, I will be following the typical conventions by having:
  • Brightly coloured texts and titles to attract attention
  • images to dominate the texts and make it more interesting
  • numbers to label the images and texts to allow for 'grazing'
  • direct address in all images to make pictures seem personal
  • title at the top of the page to highlight that; that page is the contents page
  • a list of contents, under sections to make it easier for the reader

Although I will be following these kinds of conventions, I also want to bend the rules so I am making my contents page different from typical ones. 

My two page spread will also bend the rules as well as trying to follow the typical conventions of a feature article.
        My two page spread will contain:
  • Headlines and subheadings to explain the story and catch the audiences interest
  • one large image to dominate the page, as well as little pictures to make the article more interesting
  • white spaces to frame texts and images
  • text grabs (quotes that are made bigger to break up the columns and to make the reader read the article)
Once again, to make my article more interesting I will lay out my article so it is unique.

An example of an article layout I found, that caught my attention:


No comments:

Post a Comment